Does Your Business Generate Hazardous Waste?
West County businesses generating less than 27 gallons or 220 pounds of hazardous waste per month may participate in the Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator Program (CESQG) at the West Contra Costa Permanent HHW Facility located in Richmond. Fees apply. There is an on-line form to complete and additional information is available by calling at 1-888-412-9277. For more information visit our Commercial Hazardous Waste FAQs.
Requirements for Program Use
The Customer agrees to abide by the following requirements:
1. State and federal hazardous waste laws limit the use of household hazardous waste collection programs to households and those businesses that generate less than 100 kilograms (about 27 gallons or 220 lbs) of hazardous waste a month and less than 1 kg of “extremely hazardous waste” a month.
2. Wastes must only be delivered during the following hours of operation:
• Thursdays, Fridays & the first Saturday of the month
• 9:00 am - 4:00 pm (closed Noon to 12:30 p.m. for lunch)
3. An authorized representative of the organization or business such as the owner, manager or supervisor, who has legal authorization to obligate, must sign below.
4. Customers must adhere to the following requirements in preparing wastes for transport:
• No leaking containers are allowed
• Keep different products separate from each other
• Avoid spills: secure lids
• Tape lids down if possible to fall off
• Unknowns are not accepted
• Unlabeled containers with known contents should be labeled with the product name or classification
• No containers greater than 5 gallons • If container is very rusty or cracked, transfer to another container and label it or place it in another secure container
• Place wastes in boxes and surround with newspaper or other material so that containers do not move during transport
• Place wastes in the trunk or back of the vehicle away from occupants
• Load your vehicle just prior to delivery
• Drive directly to the facility
• Do not allow children or pets in the vehicle
5. The following wastes are not accepted:
• Radioactive Materials
• Explosives, including firearms
• Controlled substances
• Gas Cylinders - Pressurized, thick-walled over 5 gallons
6. State law limits transportation amount to 27 gallons (220 pounds) or less and we are required to reject any amount over that limit.
7. We can only accept the wastes that have been pre-approved.
8. Prior to arrival at the facility, you will need to bring the following items:
• Signed Materials Acceptance Request Form
• Signed Requirements for Program Use
• Proof that your business or organization is located in the eligible service area
• Check made out to “WCRR”