If you reside in El Cerrito, Hercules, Pinole, Richmond, San Pablo and the unincorporated West County areas (Crockett, El Sobrante, Port Costa, Rodeo, & Tormey) you may drop off your household hazardous waste for FREE at the The West Contra Costa County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Proof of residency is required. If you are a resident of Kensington, go here for further information. For hours of operation, location, and certain restrictions please scroll further down this page.
To see examples of what types of items can be dropped off at the facility visit our Hazardous Materials Database. Click on the item you have for disposal to see whether or not it is accepted at the facility and for alternative ways for proper disposal. These items are NOT accepted for drop off: controlled substances, radioactive materials, explosives, firearms, pressurized gas cylinders - thick walled and over 5 gallons.
If you are a small business in West Contra Costa County, you may be eligible to drop off hazardous waste for a fee. For more information navigate the commercial hazardous materials page.
Location of HHW Facility
101 Pittsburg Avenue, North Richmond – 1,000 feet east of the
- Going Northbound on the
Turn Right onto
- Going Southbound on the
Turn Left onto
- Once on
, Go about 1000 yards and Pittsburg Ave
Turn Right into the second driveway at
101 Pittsburg Avenue.
Hours of Operation
Open: Every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday.
Hours: 9am-4pm (closed Noon to 12:30 p.m. for lunch).
NO APPOINTMENT NEEDED! BRING PROOF OF RESIDENCY!
For more information call 1-888-412-9277
Handling, Transport, & Drop-Off
Legal transport limit is no more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste per vehicle per visit. Individual containers are limited to 5 gallon capacity.
- Leave labels intact or clearly label all items.
- Limit individual containers to 5 gallons each.
- Asbestos: Bag in 6 ml plastic bags (4 heavy garbage bags) - each bag may weigh no more than 30 pounds and contain pieces no longer or wider than 27 inches.
- Do not mix materials in the same container.
- Tighten lids & place leaking or dirty containers in strong plastic bags.
- Pack individual containers in a sturdy box or tub with absorbent material such as newspaper.
- Transport materials in the trunk or rear of the vehicle.
- Stay in your vehicle when you arrive at the facility.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection
at the El Cerrito Recycling + Environmental Resource Center
7501 Schmidt Ln, El Cerrito
Tuesdays 9am to 4pm (Closed for lunch 12 to 12:30)
RecycleMore, a Joint Powers Agency, provides these services in partnership with West County Resource Recovery (WCRR), Republic Services, and the City of El Cerrito.
Must be a resident in the RecycleMore Service area and show proof of residency:
El Cerrito, Hercules, Pinole, Richmond, San Pablo, and unincorporated Contra Costa County communities of Bayview, East Richmond Heights, El Sobrante, Montalvin Manor, North Richmond, Rollingwood and Tara Hills
Only on Tuesdays, the facility will accept the following household hazardous wastes:
- Garden products (pesticides and fertilizers)
- Propane gas cylinders
- Hazardous aerosols/cleaners/sprays & poisons
- Auto products (such as gasoline, cleaners, polishes)
- Paints, solvents, thinners, and adhesives
- Photo & pool chemicals
- Mercury thermometers and switches
Items not accepted at any time:
- No hazardous waste from businesses
- No explosives, ammunition, medical waste, radioactive waste
- No treated wood waste or contaminated soil
- No refrigerators. Other appliances accepted at the El Cerrito Recycling Center.
Rodeo, Crockett, Port Costa, Tormey, and Kensington residents must take their HHW to:
West County Resource Recovery HHW Facility
101 Pittsburg Ave., Richmond
Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays 9am to 4pm
Closed for lunch 12:00 to 12:30pm
Kensington residents may call Bay View Sanitary at 510-237-4614 for more information or click here.
The El Cerrito Recycling & Environmental Resource Center will continue to accept the following items
Monday - Friday: 8:00am to 5:45pm and Saturday/Sunday: 9:00am to 4:45pm
- Used motor oil & filters (5-gallon container maximum)
- Cooking oil (5 gallon maximum)
- Household batteries
- Fluorescent lights (RecycleMore territory residents only)
- Sharps* (needles, syringes, lancets) must be in an approved sharps container
- Medications (No controlled substances allowed). Put loose pills and bottled liquids in a sealed plastic bag. Black out any personal information.
- Electronic Waste with cords such as:
- Appliances: Microwaves, toasters, toaster ovens (small plug-in appliances)
- Cameras, video equipment, cell phones, chargers, etc.
- Computers, Computer Monitors, Televisions, Laptops, hardware, printers, Ink cartridges, toners
- Digital Thermometers, electric shavers, toothbrushes, hair dryers, curlers, and straighteners
- Radios, stereo equipment, video games and consoles
- Vacuum cleaners
Alameda County Residents should visit www.stopwaste.org/recycling/residents/household-hazardous-waste for drop off locations.
Please see the flyer below for HHW Collection information at the El Cerrito Recycling and Environmental Resource Center.