Antifreeze Illegal in Garbage & Drains Hazardous Waste FREE Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) and Mattress Collection Event (Hercules, CA) – ONE DAY ONLY! Saturday, June 24, 2023 More Info Get Reminder Residents may drop-off used or unwanted antifreeze / engine coolant at the HHW Collection Facility. Antifreeze or engine coolant contains ethylene glycol has a sweet taste that if accidentally ingested can have serious and harmful effects. Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include severe diarrhea and vomiting. Coolant containing ethylene glycol should not be disposed of in a way that will result in it being ingested by animals, because of its toxicity. Many animals like its sweet taste. As little as a teaspoonful can be fatal to a cat, and four teaspoonfuls can be dangerous to a dog. Highly Toxic Antifreeze is highly toxic and can cause internal organ damage through skin absorption, so wearing gloves when handling it is highly recommended. Inhaling fumes can also cause dizziness. Dangerous Down Drains Never dump antifreeze into a sewer, storm drain, ditch, dry well, or septic system. This can cause serious water quality problems and harm people, pets, or wildlife. Poisonous to Animals Animals are attracted to antifreeze due to its sweet smell, but it’s highly poisonous, and licking or drinking even a small amount can kill an animal. Be sure that antifreeze is stored well away from animals and children, and that spills are completely cleaned up, and leaks are immediately repaired. Ways to Reduce Buy Smaller Bottles Conventional antifreeze lasts only two to three years. Buy it in small quantities to ensure that your antifreeze does not expire unused. Choose Extended-Life Antifreeze Conventional antifreeze lasts only two to three years. But different chemicals in the antifreeze made with extended-life coolants allow it to last five years or 150,000 miles. Heavy-duty, extended-life antifreeze lasts between 400,000 and 600,000 miles with the use of a one-time extender. Did You Know? 90,000 Animals Poisoned Annually As many as 90,000 pets and wild animals are poisoned annually by drinking spilled or carelessly stored products containing ethylene glycol, such as antifreeze. Manufacturers are starting to add bittering agents to deter animals, but there is still plenty of antifreeze out there that is sweet and attractive to animals.